Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A Malaysian dish of hot and sour duck, delicious!
- 4 duck breasts, with the skin, cut into thin slices diagonally
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 red chili peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 6 blanched almonds, chopped
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- Put the duck slices in a bowl and rub well with the salt. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the shallots, garlic, ginger, coriander, chilis, turmeric, almonds and hot water into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- In a wok or large saucepan, heat the oil and fry the duck slices in batches for 3 minutes each time. Take out with a slotted spoon and put on absorbent paper to drain.
- Discard the remaining oil, except for about 2 tablespoons. In this, fry the paste from the blender, stirring continuously, for 5 minutes. Add the meat and keep on stirring for 2 minutes.
- Taste and add seasoning if necessary. Serve hot with rice or pasta.