Prep 6 hrs 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
The best duck curry ever!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 pieces gingerroot, peeled
- 2 stalks lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 fresh hot red chili peppers, as -serranos, seeded & stemmed
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste, see recipe
- 3 lbs duck, coarse chopped
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil or 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 2 lbs taro root or 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed or 2 lbs yams
- 2 bay leaves or 2 curry leaves
- 1⁄2 cup thin coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup green onions (to garnish) or 1⁄2 cup cilantro, -leaves (to garnish)
- steamed rice or French bread
- Blend onion, ginger, sliced lemongrass, garlic, salt, black pepper,.
- chiles and Red Curry Paste to a puree.
- In large bowl combine puree with duck and marinate, covered for 2-6 hours. Heat half of the oil in large skillet for 2 minutes, then add taro root or potatoes or yams and fry for about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Add remaining oil to skillet, heat and add chicken with its marinade. Stir-fry for 5 minutes. Add minced lemongrass, leaves, fried taro, thin coconut milk and water and mix.
- Bring to boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Gently add thick coconut milk and sugar and simmer uncovered for 3 minutes before serving.
- Serve with steamed rice or a loaf of french bread.