Recipe by JustJanS
I got this recipe from a cookbook “Wonderful Ways to Cook Curries” I paid 50c for the book in a thrift shop and don’t plan to keep the poor old thing. I haven’t made this recipe, but we eat a lot of curries and I know I will. Remember an Australian tablespoon is 4 teaspoons.
- 1 (2 1/4 kg) duck, cut up
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red chili pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 250 g tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Prick the skin of the duck all over with a fork and cook in a 230c oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and pour of the fat. Sprinkle one teaspoon of the turmeric over the duck pieces.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan and sauté the onions and garlic until golden brown.
- Stir in the remaining one teaspoon of turmeric and the rest of the spices. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes and water and bring to the boil.
- Add the duck pieces, cover and cook over a low heat until the duck is tender (about 1 hour).
- Just before serving, add the salt and lemon juice.