2 hrs 20 mins
Alan Leonetti's Note:
We had this at the Zia Restaurant in Albuquerque and absolutely loved it, so I asked for the recipe. At first, I was refused, but when I told them that I need to know what the ingredients are, for medical reasons, I was presented with the recipe. It's really SUPER DELICIOUS!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 -5 lb) duck (defrosted)
- 1 (10 ounce) jar orange marmalade
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate (thawed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (freshly ground black pepper)
- 2 tablespoons duck fat
- 2 tablespoons marsala wine
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (from jar)
- 1Mix marmalade, lemon, orange juice, honey, ginger, chicken broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Heat, stirring, until marmalade has melted. Stir in duck fat and wine.
- 2Wash duck inside and out and pat dry with paper towel.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 4Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper inside and out. Prick surface with a fork or slightly score the surface. Place on a rack and roast, uncovered, in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 1 ½ hours.
- 5Remove from oven and allow to completely cool.
- 6Cut each breast into 2 portions and each thigh into 2 portions, plus you will have the 2 legs.
- 7Place the portions onto a rack in a shallow baking dish.
- 8Bake in the 350 degree oven 15 minutes.
- 9Remove from oven and generously brush with the marmalade sauce. Return to oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
- 10NOTE: Duck always benefits from this precooking, cooling, and rebaking. The cooling process releases most of the oil from the duck and the second cooking crisps it beautifully. This duck should be started way ahead of time, as the duck must cool after the first roasting. Be certain the duck is very crispy before serving.
Browse Our Top Whole Duck Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Duck Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Duck (Crispy Twice-Baked) (Xang Su Ya)
Serving Size: 1 (648 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3087.6
- Calories from Fat 2541
- Total Fat 282.3 g
- Saturated Fat 94.2 g
- Cholesterol 447.6 mg
- Sodium 984.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 68.2 g
- Protein 54.0 g