Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
From Sara Moulton. Does not include 12 - 24 hours marinating time.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 5 lbs duck, cut into 8 pieces, all fat and skin left on (use a whole duck not parts)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Combine salt, garlic, thyme, allspice, and bay leaf in a small bowl.
- Rub over the meaty sides of the duck (where the cuts are),.
- Place in a plastic bag, remove as much air as possible, and marinate in the refrigerator 12 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F; spray inside of an oven cooking bag with vegetable spray and add flour.
- Rub some of the marinade off of the duck pieces with paper towels and add duck to the bag in a single layer; Cut a few holes in the bag, according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Place bag in a baking dish and cook until duck is tender, about 2 1/2 hours; set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat; place duck, skin side down, in skillet and cook until skin is crispy and the meat is heated through, about 3 to 4 minutes.