Prep 20 mins
Cook 26 hrs 15 mins
- 2 (5 lb) ducks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns, cracked
- 6 cups rendered duck or 6 cups pork fat
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled
- 12 fresh thyme sprigs
- Remove ducks' legs and breasts, saving remaining bones and wings for brown duck stock.
- Leaving bones and skin attached, chop breasts into halves.
- With a cleaver, remove tips of drumsticks to use in stock.
- Sprinkle all over with salt and pepper, and set aside at room temperature 45 minutes.
- Then place duck pieces in a Dutch oven with rendered fat, garlic and thyme. Cook over low heat, uncovered, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- To test for doneness, pierce with a sharp fork.
- It should just fall off fork when shaken.
- Transfer duck pieces to a medium baking dish and add the fat. Let cool to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 24 hours or as long as 4 weeks.
- Before serving, lift duck pieces out of fat. Remove and discard skin and any excess fat by warming slightly on a rack in the oven.
- Serve duck hot or cold.