Pinaygourmet #345142's Note:
Sophisticated awesome dish fit for special occasions. It takes at least 2 days to make, so allow enough time for the prep if you're planning to do it. Serve with endive and red cabbage salad, French vinaigrette and toasted walnuts. (Vinaigrette recipe included.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 duck legs
- 30 g kosher salt, per kilo of meat
- 30 garlic cloves
- 8 cups rendered duck fat (or pork fat)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 bunches fresh thyme (or 1 bunch is good enough)
- 6 bay leaves
French Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1Mix the allspice, nutmeg and kosher salt and sprinkle evenly over duck. Press the garlic and fresh thyme bunches onto the flesh and skin and place a bay leaf on the exposed flesh of each leg. Cover and cure in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- 2Preheat the oven to 200°F Drain all the liquid from the baking dish. Pat dry. Return the cured legs to the cleaned dish along with the garlic and herbs and cover with warm fat.
- 3Bake for 6 to 8 hours or until the garlic cloves have turned a deep golden brown and fleshis soft to the touch.
- 4Let the meat cool in the fat. When it reaches room temperature remove the legs and strain fat.
- 5There will be a bit of duck liquid at the bottom that will turn to jelly when refrigerated and should be saved and used for seasoning poultry sauces.
- 6Pour the strained fat back over the duck legs and store in the fridge until needed.
- 7To reheat the duck, brush with orange marmalade and bake in the oven at 450F until crispy and golden.
- 8French Vinaigrette:.
- 9Combine and whisk all ingredients together. Pour over salad mix.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Duck Confit
Serving Size: 1 (452 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 356.5
- Calories from Fat 323
- Total Fat 35.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 25.6 mg
- Sodium 2924.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 1.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar