Prep 30 mins
Cook 22 mins
In 'Spring Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
Make and share this Duck Breasts With Rhubarb-Cherry Chutney recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb trimmed rhubarb, stalks cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 3⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dried tart cherry
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup minced crystallized ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick, 3 inch length
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) boneless duck breasts
- 3⁄4 teaspoon asian five-spice powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Chutney--combine all the ingredients in a medium non-reactive saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the brown sugar.
- Decrease heat to med-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is tender, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool completely.
- Duck breasts--position a rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 450°.
- Use a sharp knife to score the duck breast in a crisscross pattern, taking care not to cut through the skin to the flesh.
- Combine the five spice powder, salt, and pepper and use the spice mixture to season the breasts.
- Place the breasts, skin side down, in a large nonstick ovenproof skillet.
- Place the skillet over medium heat and cook until the skin is a rich golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Pour off the fat in the skillet.
- Turn and cook until the meaty sides are browned, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until an instant read thermometer inserted horizontally into the center of a breast reads 125°, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the breasts to a carving board and let stand 3-5 minutes.
- Using a large sharp knife, carve each duck breast on the diagonal into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Slide the knife under half the slices from one breast, transfer to a dinner plate, and fan out the slices on the plate.
- Repeat with the remaining sliced breasts.
- Serve hot with chutney.