Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Mashed or scalloped potatoes would be a perfect accompaniment to this rich dish.
Make and share this Duck Breasts With Balsamic Cherry Glaze recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey (orange blossom)
- 1⁄4 cup dried tart cherry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless duck breasts
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- For the glaze, combine the balsamic vinegar, honey, cherries and cayenne pepper in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the mixture has reduced by half to form a thick, syrupy glaze; keep warm until ready to serve.
- With the point of a knife, score the skin side of the duck breasts in a crosshatch pattern, being careful not to pierce the flesh.
- Season the duck breasts with the salt and pepper.
- Preheat a dry (oil-less) saute pan over medium/high heat before adding the breasts, skin-side down.
- Cook the duck over medium/high heat approximately 6 to 8 minutes (rendering out the fat).
- Momentarily remove the duck from the pan and set the duck aside.
- Fry the sage leaves in the rendered duck fat for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the leaves are crisp and dark green.
- Transfer the sage to paper towels to drain.
- Remove the excess fat from the saute pan, then add the duck (opposite side) back into the hot pan.
- Saute the opposite side of the breasts for another 3 to 4 minutes (the meat should be medium-rare).
- Remove the duck from the pan and slice the breasts crosswise or diagonally.
- For serving, arrange the slices on each plate, drizzle the duck with the warm balsamic cherry glaze and garnish each serving with two fried sage leaves.
The duck breast I seasoned with Roasting Salt Blend for veggies ans Meat #93833. The Glaze was just to much. I let the breast rest after cooking then sliced. I suggest no more then 1/2 cup balsamic to reduce to 1/4 cup. I found myself discarding the leftover glaze. Don`t get me wrong it was good but it should be just a glaze on the duck.
very flavorful and easy to prepare. I would suggest that a garlic mashed potatoes is a good balance to the meal.