Recipe courtesy Lisa Nakamur, The French Laundry. Found on Food Network, posting for ZWT.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 pekin duck breasts
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 garlic clove, crush slightly but unpeeled
- 1/4-1/2 lb cold unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons shallots
- 1 cup ruby port
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground coriander seed
- 1/4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- butter or vegetable oil, for sauteing
- 2 turnips, cut into medium dice
- 1 lb assorted grapes, halved and seeded
- 1Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- 2Score the duck skin with a sharp knife. Season both sides of the breast with salt, but only put pepper on the flesh side.
- 3Place breast in a cold saute pan and place over low heat. As fat renders out of the skin, drain it off. When skin is crisp and golden, increase flame to medium and turn breast over.
- 4Add 2 of the thyme sprigs, the garlic clove and about 2 tablespoons butter. Finish cooking the breasts until medium rare.
- 5Remove from the pan and hold in a 200 degree oven.
- 6Drain off excess fat from pan. Add shallots and cook until translucent, about one minute.
- 7Add port, remaining thyme sprigs, ground coriander seeds and vinegar Reduce until almost all the liquid is gone.
- 8Whisk in cold unsalted butter cubes in small additions.
- 9If emulsion becomes too thick , add a touch of chicken stock or water Strain and keep in a warm, not hot, place.
- 10Saute in butter or vegetable oil the turnips until golden or tender. Season with salt and black pepper. Drain on paper towels and keep warm. Repeat the process with the grapes. Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
- 11To serve, slice the duck breast thinly. Arrange on warm plates (not too hot, or your emulsion may break).
- 12Mix together the emulsion, turnips, and grapes. Spoon over the duck and serve immediately.
- 13Garnish with fresh thyme leaves, chervil pluches, or chive points.
Browse Our Top Duck Breasts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Duck Breasts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Duck Breast With Grapes, Turnips and a Port Emulsion
Serving Size: 1 (509 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 886.4
- Calories from Fat 445
- Total Fat 49.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.6 g
- Cholesterol 387.4 mg
- Sodium 254.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 24.4 g
- Protein 60.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: