Duck Breast With Braised Fennel and Golden Raisins
- . Cut off fennel stalks and cut in half (reserve fennel fronds and 1/4 bulb). Place stalks and 3/4 bulb in pot and cover with water and 1 tablespoon of salt. Braise until translucent and tender (about 20 minutes). Take 1/4 inch thick slices of braised fennel and coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Grill until charred. Set aside.
- 2. Blanch fennel fronds in hot oil and then shock in cold water. Place drained fennel fronds in blender and puree. Slowly add olive oil in steady stream until emulsified. Season and reserve.
- 3. Shave raw bulb paper thin. Fry in olive oil until golden brown. Finish with salt and drain on paper towel.
- 4. Score duck breast skin and season with salt and pepper. Cook in pan on medium-low heat skin-side down, rendering out the fat (about 10 minutes). Once fat is rendered, flip breast over and finish cooking until medium rare/medium. Remove from heat and let rest until ready to serve.
- 5. For golden raisin relish, combine drained raisins with equal portion of diced braised fennel bulb. Add duck fat pan drippings and minced fried fennel fronds. Season with salt and pepper to taste.