Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This salad is a traditional starter for any Mardi Gras spread.
- 3 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1 ounce Southern Comfort
- 5 teaspoons green peppercorns
- 5 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 6 (6 -8 ounce) skinless duck breasts
- 3⁄4 cup walnut oil (peanut oil can be substituted)
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 heads romaine lettuce, chopped into bite-size pieces
- In a large bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar, Southern Comfort, walnut oil, green peppercorns, onion, garlic and salt. Place the duck breasts in a single layer in a shallow dish and cover with the vinegar mixture. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours, turning the breasts once.
- Preheat a grill or broiler. Remove the duck from the marinade and grill or broil about 10 minutes until medium rare. Let the breasts cool for 10 minutes, then cut them on the diagonal into thin slices. While the duck is cooling, place the marinade, along with any juices from the duck, in a saucepan and reduce by a third.
- Mound a bed of chopped romaine on six plates and fan slices of duck on top of the lettuce. Spoon the reduced marinade over each salad and serve.