1/1 Photo of Duchess of Parma Torte
Courtesey of "The Splendid Table" cook book. DELICIOUS!! but very complex and time consuming. I'm posting the recipe as is but have used some substitutions in the past. I found you will need a few extra egg whites for the meringues. Also i substitute cooking sherry for the Mersala when it's not handy and have used almonds in place of the hazelnuts. The chocolate buttercream can be made up to 5 days ahead and both the meringues and zabaione cream can be made one day in advance. Good luck and good eating!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For Chocolate Buttercream
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons strong brewed espresso
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
- 4 tablespoons flour, plus more for pan
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 7 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
For Zabaione Buttercream
- 5 egg yolks
- 7 tablespoons dry marsala
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark rum
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1Chocolate Buttercream:.
- 2In an electric mixer bowl, combine egg yolks, sugar, coffee and rum.
- 3Remove from mixer and wisk by hand over pan of boiling water. Use candy thermometer and stop wisking when it reads between 160 and 165 degrees Farenheit and is a thick custard. Do not immerse the bowl in the water.
- 4Place the bowl back on the mixer and beat on a high speed until cool (about 8 to 10 minutes). The mixture should be thickened.
- 5Add the melted chocolates
- 6Beat in the butter 1 tablespoon at a time, scraping sides occasionally. The buttercream should be silken and fluffy. If too soft, refridgerate 20 minutes and beat again to fluff it up. If you are making the buttercream ahead of time, cover and refridgerate.
- 8Butter and flour three 9-inch round cake pans. Cut circles of parchment paper and fit them to the pans.
- 9Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 10Grind nuts and half the sugar and all the flour in a food processor. The nuts should be very fine but not turned to nut butter.
- 11Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until peaks are stiff.
- 12Fold nuts into meringue, keeping the meringue light.
- 13Spread mixture into pans.
- 14Bake for 22 minutes or until golden brown.They should be almost hard but still springy.
- 15Let meringues cool completley.
- 16Run a knife around edges and very carefully remove from pans.
- 17Trim any ragged edges.
- 18Leave in a cool, dry place until ready to assemble.
- 19Zabaione Buttercream:.
- 20In an electric mixer, mix egg yolks, marsala, sugar and rum.
- 21Remove from mixer and wisk by hand over boiling water until candy thermometer reads between 160 and 165 degrees farenheit. Should be a thick custard.
- 22Return to mixer and beat on high for eight to ten minutes or until cool and thick.
- 23Add 9 tablespoons of butter one tablespoon at a time and beat until each addition is smooth.
- 24Add last 3 tablespoons at once and beat until smooth and thick. If it's not thick enough, chill for 20 minutes and beat again.
- 25If made ahead of time, cover and refrigerate.
- 27Combine all ingrediends in small bowl and set over boiling water or a double boiler.
- 28Stir until smooth.
- 29Set aside.
- 30Assembling the Torte:.
- 31Use paper towls to protect the edges of a flat round cake plate.
- 32Dab about a tablespoon of chocolate buttercream in the middle to hold the torte in place.
- 33Place one meringue layer in center of plate.
- 34Spread chocolate buttercream about 3/4 inch thick, making the it a little thicker around the edges.
- 35Set second meringue layer upside down ontop of first.
- 36Spread all zabaione buttercream on the meringue, making it a little thicker around the edges.
- 37Top with last meringue, again, upside down.
- 38Firm the torte in the refridgerator for 30 minutes.
- 39Spread thin layer of chocolate buttercream along sides and top of torte.
- 40Pipe an undulating border around outer edge of top layer,.
- 41Refridgerate at least one hour before glazing.
- 42About one hour before serving, spoon glaze over top and spread so it reaches the buttercream border. Avoid refridgerating if possible. It will dim the glazes sheen.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Duchess of Parma Torte
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1041.9
- Calories from Fat 747
- Total Fat 83.0 g
- Saturated Fat 39.2 g
- Cholesterol 416.6 mg
- Sodium 71.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 52.3 g
- Protein 13.2 g