2 hrs 20 mins
This recipe is from Croatian culinary TV show called “Food from forgotten times”. The recipe is from Dubrovnik. This recipe is also mentioned in famous Croatian renaissance comedy “Dundo Maroje” by Marin Drzic. You can find it in well known Pomet monologue about food. You can use older chicken if you do not have capon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2000 g capons
- 10 g lard
- 15 g salt
- 15 g black peppercorns (roughly grounded)
- 15 g capers
- 1 (5 g) cinnamon sticks
- 5 g fresh rosemary
- 15 g sausage (homemade smoked sausage for cooking)
- 15 g pancetta (smoked, one schnitzel of pancetta)
- 1 (10 g) oranges
- 1 cup orange juice (natural from fresh orange)
- 3 tablespoons honey (best ( sage honey)
- 40 g sausage (homemade sausage for BBQ)
- 1Season capon with salt and pepper. Put smoked sausage for cooking inside the capon. Also put pancetta schnitzel, rosemary and cinnamon stick inside.
- 2Wash orange and pierce on several spots with fork. Close the capon back hole with the orange.
- 3Grease the baking pot with lard and put capon to bake on 200°C for about 110 minutes (1kg=1 hour, usually).
- 4Before end remove the capon from the oven, pour orange juice over capon and spread honey over to cover skin.
- 5Place BBQ sausages around capon and put back into oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes (to finish the sausages). Serve.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dubrovnik Renaissance Time Roasted Capon
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 877.0
- Calories from Fat 552
- Total Fat 61.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.0 g
- Cholesterol 256.8 mg
- Sodium 1277.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 64.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: