Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Pilfered from "razzle dazzle recipes" in response to a request for a dish made with chicken and Irish bacon.
- 8 ounces dubliner cheese
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, with skin
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 6 slices traditional irish bacon, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded savoy cabbage
- 2⁄3 cup chicken stock or 2⁄3 cup canned low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons light cream or 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 10 tablespoons kerrygold irish butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F Grease a baking sheet.
- Grate half the cheese and cut the rest into thin slices.
- Gently lift the skin from each chicken breast and insert the slices of cheese under it.
- Press skin down to seal.
- In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, seasoning, salt, pepper, and grated cheese.
- Place the beaten eggs in a shallow dish and dip the chicken breasts into it.
- Dredge in bread crumbs and bake on prepared baking sheet for 35 to 40 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- In a medium saucepan over medium to low heat, heat the oil.
- Sauté the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and mix well.
- Add the stock or broth, bring to a boil, and cook, stirring frequently, until the cabbage is tender.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the cabbage to 4 heated plates.
- Keep warm.
- Boil the cooking liquid until reduced by half.
- Add the cream or half-and-half and cook to reduce by half again.
- Whisk in the butter, Strain the sauce and add the reserved strips of bacon.
- Slice the chicken breast onto the cabbage and pour the sauce around it.
Just finished cooking this for St.Patty's Day...Very very good. I never had savoy cabbage...tasted perfect. The sauce added extra kick to the cabbage/chicken. Will definitely be making this again!!Great combo, thanks for the recipe!
Really enjoyed this. Was easier to make than it sounds and used up all those things i had in the fridge. great! 5 stars*****