Prep 12 mins
Cook 8 mins
The perfect little Irish appetizer. The original recipe calls for canned shrimp in the spread and a whole fresh shrimp on top, but I would definitely use fresh throughout. Just be sure to mince up the cooked shrimp used in the spread portion of the recipe. This cream cheese spread is perfect party fare. You can make it ahead of time and spread it on the bread just before serving. The Irish Mist liqueur adds a touch of sweetness. The recipe can easily be doubled.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 (4 ounce) can shrimp, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Irish Mist liqueur
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (1 lb) package rye cocktail bread
- 20 -25 small shrimp, cooked and peeled
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, shrimp, mayonnaise, Irish Mist, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Stir until smooth.
- Arrange the slices of bread on a baking sheet and toast under the broiler, 4 inches from the heat source, for 2 minutes on each side, or until lightly toasted.
- Spread one side of each slice with the shrimp mixture, and return to the broiler for 1 minute, or until the mixture bubbles and browns. Remove from the broiler and put 1 whole fresh shrimp on top of each. Serve immediately.