Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Don't know where this came from but our family has been making and enjoying these for years.
- Spread margerine on both sides of bread.
- With a drinking glass or cookie cutter.
- Cut hole in center of bread.
- Place bread in hot frying pan.
- Break egg into hole in bread.
- Flip bread/egg to finish cooking.
It's been a while since I've eaten "egg in a hole" and this is just as good as I remember. I cook the egg until the whites are done but the yolk is still somewhat runny. When you poke the yolk on the finished product, it runs over the toast and makes it even yummier. Made for Spring 2014 Pick A Chef.
I have also been eating this for years. My mom called it "Spit In The Eye" she toasted the cutouts and they were referred to as eyelids. I have also heard them referred to as "Eggs In A Basket". Regardless of what they are called they are delicious and fun for kids.
I made this for breakfast this morning and I loved it!! It was very easy to make which is always a plus. Thanks so much for posting!!