Recipe by QueenJellyBean
You can use fresh or canned tomatoes for this soup. It will spoil you and you may rethink canned soup after this!
Top Review by Charlotte J
This was very quick to make. I only used 2 teaspoons of butter to saute the onions. I did not bother putting this through a blender. Thank you for posting. Made for *Zaar Cookbooks Tag 2008* game
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped or sliced)
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, cut up (or 2 cups fresh)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon snipped basil (or 1/2 tsp dried basil,crushed)
- 1 teaspoon snipped thyme (or 1/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed)
- 1 dash pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan cook onion in margarine or butter till tender but not brown. Add tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, basil, thyme and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool slightly. Press mixture through a food mill or place it half at a time in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend until smooth. Return to pan and heat through. If desired, garnish with cheese, sour cream or lemon slices.