Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
You can use fresh or canned tomatoes for this soup. It will spoil you and you may rethink canned soup after this!
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped or sliced)
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, cut up (or 2 cups fresh)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon snipped basil (or 1/2 tsp dried basil,crushed)
- 1 teaspoon snipped thyme (or 1/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed)
- 1 dash pepper
- In a large saucepan cook onion in margarine or butter till tender but not brown. Add tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, basil, thyme and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool slightly. Press mixture through a food mill or place it half at a time in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend until smooth. Return to pan and heat through. If desired, garnish with cheese, sour cream or lemon slices.
This was very quick to make. I only used 2 teaspoons of butter to saute the onions. I did not bother putting this through a blender. Thank you for posting. Made for *Zaar Cookbooks Tag 2008* game