Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
I cut this recipe out of The Chicago Tribune and it is outstanding, so I thought I share it with you.
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup onion powder
- 1⁄4 cup garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup herbes de provence
- 1⁄4 cup dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 4 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 4 (10 ounce) rib eye steaks, about,trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium yellow onions, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Sweet-and-spicy dipping sauce
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 red jalapeno chiles or 1 green jalapeno chile, halved,stemmed,seeded,minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- For rub, combine ingredients in a medium bowl (can be made ahead and stored in airtight container at room temperature until ready to use).
- Sprinkle steaks on both sides with 1/2 cup of the rub; rub into the meat thoroughly with fingers.
- Cover the steaks with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Prepare a grill.
- Place the steaks on the grill; close the cover.
- Cook the steaks until browned to desired doneness, 6-8 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Remove steaks from the grill to a clean platter; cover with foil.
- Set aside 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the grilled onions, coat them evenly with the olive oil; sprinkle on both sides with 1 tablespoon of the sweet-and-spicy rub.
- (Save remaining rub for later use.) Place onions on the grill; cook until nicely browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- For the dipping sauce, whisk together the vinegar, honey, chili, oregano and salt in a medium bowl until the honey has dissolved.
- Pour the sauce into four small bowls to accompany the steaks.
- Transfer the steaks to serving plates; top with the grilled onion slices.
- Preparation time includes marinating time for the steaks.