1 hr 15 mins
I cut this recipe out of The Chicago Tribune and it is outstanding, so I thought I share it with you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup onion powder
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- 1/4 cup herbes de provence
- 1/4 cup dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 4 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 4 (10 ounce) rib eye steaks, about,trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium yellow onions, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Sweet-and-spicy dipping sauce
- 1For rub, combine ingredients in a medium bowl (can be made ahead and stored in airtight container at room temperature until ready to use).
- 2Sprinkle steaks on both sides with 1/2 cup of the rub; rub into the meat thoroughly with fingers.
- 3Cover the steaks with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 4Prepare a grill.
- 5Place the steaks on the grill; close the cover.
- 6Cook the steaks until browned to desired doneness, 6-8 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- 7Remove steaks from the grill to a clean platter; cover with foil.
- 8Set aside 10 minutes.
- 9Meanwhile, for the grilled onions, coat them evenly with the olive oil; sprinkle on both sides with 1 tablespoon of the sweet-and-spicy rub.
- 10(Save remaining rub for later use.) Place onions on the grill; cook until nicely browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- 11For the dipping sauce, whisk together the vinegar, honey, chili, oregano and salt in a medium bowl until the honey has dissolved.
- 12Pour the sauce into four small bowls to accompany the steaks.
- 13Transfer the steaks to serving plates; top with the grilled onion slices.
- 14Preparation time includes marinating time for the steaks.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dry Rubbed Steaks With Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (465 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1154.2
- Calories from Fat 742
- Total Fat 82.5 g
- Saturated Fat 28.1 g
- Cholesterol 192.7 mg
- Sodium 3956.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 31.0 g
- Protein 55.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence