Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is delicious curry, easy and fast. The original recipe is from Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, a Ugandan-born British journalist and author of Pakistani descendents. Recipes are described in her fantastic book "The Settelers Cookbook", a Memoir of Love, Migration and Food. See also, http://www.alibhai-brown.com/archive/article.php?id=181 and http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/feb/28/yasmin-alibhai-brown-cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 dried chili
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup about 250g diced boiled peeled potato
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped into slices
- sugar, salt and citric acid to taste
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- Heat oil and cook seeds, chilli and turmeric for two minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and garlic.
- Stir-fry over low heat, then add remaining ingredients.
- Stuff into pitta bread, adding yogurt and cucumber slices.
- Note: we stuffed this curry in Pudlas (Chickpea panckes).
This was fabulous! So flavorful. I didn't have sesame seeds so used sesame oil, and only had ground cumin. Made for Best of 2014 game.
Wow, wow, wow. This was fantastic Awalde. I really enjoyed this flavorful dish. I have a problem with cumin, so I used coriander seeds instead, but otherwise made this exactly as written. Was this good, I can still taste it, I am drooling on my key board. There is so much flavor in this dish, the potatoes just soak up all the yummy goodness. Served the curry ontop of Naan bread for a wonderful lunch. I will be enjoying this special dish for a long time to come... Kudos my friend, this has also gone into my Best of 2014 Cookbook. Made for Aussie Swap March 2014
I was expecting this to be yummy but this is one of those rare simple recipes that are more than the sum if it's parts. I feel that delectable fits perfectly. The seasonings are perfect, I used black sesame seeds (what I currently have) which added visual interest. I had a few leftover Easy Basturma Meatballs in the fridge and the two recipes made today's lunch. The uses for this great potato recipe just really go on and on though. If I put a serving on a plate with a burger I'd vastly prefer the curry potatoes :D. Made for awalde's Treasure Hunt win in Sweet December Event 2013.