Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this delicious recipe in the Margaret Fulton Cookbook. I didn't have any mustard seeds, so subbed a teaspoon of English mustard; and subbed a teaspoon of curry powder for the garam masala. We had it with a Thai red prawn curry and steamed rice, but it is often served as a main dish for vegetarian meals. Edited 16 December to include salt and paprika in ingredients.
- 30 g ghee or 30 g butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander, chopped or 2 tablespoons mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 -6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat ghee in large saucepan and fry mustard seed until it pops.
- Add onion, fresh coriander, turmeric, chili powder, paprika and salt.
- Mix well and then stir in the potatoes.
- Stir for a few minutes, sprinkle with about 1/2 cup of water, turn heat very low, cover and cook for 25-20 minutes or until potatoes are done.
- Shake saucepan occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add garam masala and lemon juice about 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
Oooh - this was really yummy and really easy to do. I used powdered coriander as I didn't have seeds; not mint. I didn't have Garam Masala so used a Thai Red Curry Paste which, far as I can tell, is very similiar. Otherwise I didn't change a thing and this is definitely going into my Favourites Cookbook.
Delicious. Smells fantastic! The specifics that I used were: red potatoes and Earth Balance (instead of ghee). I wonder if this would have been even better (look and/or taste) with black mustard seeds. I've seen recipes call for those specifically. It tasted great but could have used a little more pretty for the presentation. Perhaps next time some black mustard seeds and peas.
I have made this so many times to accompany various meals apart from curries. It is easy to make & very tasty in its own right. You deserve another 5 star rating, thank you very much for a regular in our house.