Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
In Majorca this soup is traditionally eaten with grapes - it is served hot or cold. You may substitute the cabbage with cauliflower, lettuce, broccoli, spinach, etc.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 red peppers, membrane and seeds removed, cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and peeled
- 4 tablespoons parsley, cleaned and chopped
- 1 large cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups water
- 12 slices crusty firm white bread, thinly sliced
- In 2 tbsp of oil saute the onions, peppers and garlic until the onions are just golden.
- Add tomatoes and parsley saute gently for 4 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and water, simmer until the cabbage is cooked.
- Take out 4 soup bowls or a soup tureen and place a slice of bread on the bottom of each bowl (if using a tureen cover the bottom with a layer of bread).
- Cover the bread with a layer of veggies.
- Add another layer of bread and more veggies.
- Repeat one more time.
- Pour in as much stock as the bread will absorb.
- Drizzle a bit of oil on top (optional).