Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A dish that's very very popular in S'pore n Malaysia :)
- 250 g thin rice vermicelli (soaked in water for 10 minutes, then drained)
- 200 g bean sprouts
- 250 g prawns
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp (Dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water, then strained)
- 2 cups water (for cooking prawns)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 6 shallots
- 1 tablespoon preserved soybeans (tau cheong)
- 50 g dried shrimp
- 12 dried chilies, soaked
- 2 candlenuts
- 1 stalk lemongrass (sliced)
- 1 inch shrimp paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Bring the 2 cups of water to a boil and add the prawns,removing them as soon as they are cooked.Put them in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. When cooled, peel the prawns and leave aside for garnishing.
- Blend garlic, shallots, preserved soy beans, dried prawns, dried chillies, candlenuts, lemongrass and shrimp paste into a paste.
- Fry paste in 1/3 cup oil, till fragrant.Add tamarind juice and 1 cup of stock from cooking the prawns.Bring to a boil and simmer for five minutes.
- Add noodles and stir-fry. Mix in tofu and toss well. Add sugar, pepper, fish sauce and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Lastly add in the beansprouts and the chives toss until breansprouts and chives are just limp.