Recipe by Nisha
On request, this is what is usually done with cabbages in India--with, of course, minute changes, as the region changes. I am giving here a common one--hope you like it. It can be had as side dish or with rotis/chappatis/Indian bread.
- 1 medium sized cabbage, shredded
- 1 potato, cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry coriander powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon green chili paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 5 curry leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pan heat the oil and crackle the mustard. Throw in the curry leaves and let it splutter for 2/3 seconds.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder, sugar and salt.
- Add to this the washed cabbages and potatoes. Close the lid and let it cook for 15 to 20 minutes, while stirring once to avoid burning.
- Cook until the potatoes are done.
- Serve hot with chappatis.