From Fine Cooking November '05. I tried this recipe last Thanksgiving and couldn't have been more pleased. It was gorgeous and tasted as good as it looked.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1THE NIGHT BEFORE:.
- 2Remove giblets from the turkey, cut off the tail, if attached,and resserve them for making the turkey broth.
- 3Rinse the turkey thoroughly.
- 4Sprinkle the salt all over it, starting on the back side, then the cavity, and finally the breast.
- 5Put the turkey on a wire rack setover a rimmed pan and refrigerate uncovered overnight.
- 6ONE HOUR BEFORE ROASTING:.
- 7Remove the turkey from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature.
- 8Fifteen to 20 minutes before roasting, position a rack in the lowest part of the oven and heat the over to 400 degrees.
- 9Put half of the onions, carrots and celery in the turkey cavity.
- 10Tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- 11Tuckthe wings behind the neck and under the turkey.
- 12Scatter the remaining onions, carrots and celery in a large flameproof heavy-duty roasting pan fitted with a large V-rack.
- 13Set the turkey, breast side down,on the V-rack.
- 14Roast for 30 minutes.
- 15Pour 1 cup of water into the roasting pan and roast for another 30 minutes.
- 16Remove the turkey from the oven and close the oven door.
- 17With two wads of paper towels, carefully turn the turkey over so that it's breast side up.
- 18Add another 1/2 cup water to the roasting pan.
- 19Return the turkey to the oven and continue to roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thigh registers 170 degrees, about another 45 minutes for a 10-pounder, or another hour for a 12-pounder.
- 20Keep a close eye on the vegetables and pan drippings throughout the cooking process. They should be kept dry enough to brown and produce rich drippings, but moist enough to keep from burning, so add water as needed throughout.
- 21Transfer the turkey to a carving board, tent with foil, and let rest for at least 45 minutes and up to 1 hour before carving and serving.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dry-Brined Roasted Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 683.2
- Calories from Fat 300
- Total Fat 33.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 282.2 mg
- Sodium 3825.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 85.2 g