Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I've been reading about dry brining of turkey, which is more convenient as you don't have to deal with a large tub of liquid sloshing about. This recipe is from chef Lee Ann Whippen of Chicago q restaurant. I calculated the formula for a 10 lb bird. Just put the number of pounds of your bird into the servings box to recalculate the right amount of ingredients.
- Combine all the ingredients, except the butter.
- Coat the bird and place it in a releasable bag. Store in the refrigerator for two days.
- Remove the turkey from the bag, and place it back in the refrigerator, uncovered, for one more day.
- Carefully loosen the skin from the breast without tearing the skin.
- Smear the softened butter under the breast skin. Roast breast side up. Several articles I read suggested the turkey should not be stuffed, and to watch the gravy - the juices will be saltier than usual, so use low sodium broth to augment the juices for gravy.