Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Through some trial and error I have hit on a pretty good recipe for dry aged steak at home. This is a 1 day method, recipe instructions for one steak.
- 1 inch thick rib eye steak
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- On a plate sprinkle salt evenly on both sides of steak-you can use up to 1 teaspoon if the steak is really large.
- Let steak sit on the plate for 45 minutes, then flip and repeat time.
- I do this at room temperature.
- You will notice that the steak will weep then suck the fluid back inches
- This seasons them and tenderizes them. (we have fiddled with different amounts of salt, 3/4 teaspoon seems to be perfect)
- Once done with the salt/plate process I place my steak(s) on a rack over a cookie sheet to air dry.
- Do NOT cover.
- You can place them in the fridge*, however you will need to pull them (1 inch thick) back out 1 hour before you grill.
- Allow steak to "age" for 3 1/2 hours, up to 5 hours.
- *I do not place my steak(s) in the fridge, I simply place the rack in the oven to age. Our house is cool so if your house is hot, I would place in fridge , pulling steak(s) out one hour before you grill.
I followed your recipe exactly and it turned fantastic; our new way of serving BBQ steak; juicy and tender and crusty in every bite.