These drunken sloppy joes were inspired by by the drunken meatballs recipe that I make (Drunken Meatballs (With Crock Pot Instructions)). I had a gathering with a group of friends that usually request the drunken meatballs but I wanted to try to do something else. So, I looked at what I had in the house and came up with Drunken Sloppy Joes. I am sure any kind of bourbon would work but I drink so little (funny considering this recipe) that I have been working through the same bottle of Southern Comfort since Christmas.
- Heat the olive oil in a large and deep pan.
- Add the onions and fry gently until they have started to go tender. This takes about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Crumble in the ground beef and cook, stirring when needed, until all of the meat is browned. This took me about 8 minutes.
- Add the ketchup, Southern Comfort and brown sugar and stir until everything is combined with the meat.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and continue to simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Stir in the dijon mustard and then let simmer for another 15 minutes or until the sauce is the thickness you like with a sloppy joe.
- Serve on buns.