Recipe by Trinkets
Wow! Enough said. Actually, this is the most incredible creamy pasta dish ever created. It's courtesy of Chef Gus Martin, from Dickie Brennan's Palace Cafe in New Orleans. Better drink some red wine with this to combat the clogging arteries, though. It's well worth all the effort, you will be hailed a hero! To make with chicken or crawfish, just substitute same amount for the shrimp. For the Creole Seasonings we use Emeril's Creole Seasoning.
Top Review by DeniseNewOrleans
Fresh Gulf Shrimp, and roasted vegetables (not to mention the rich flavor added by the Abita Amber) added up to a "Winner" at my New Orleans dinner party last night. Well worth the effort.
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers
- vegetable oil
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons garlic, shopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, peeled
- 1 cup leek, sliced
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, julienned
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 (12 ounce) bottleabita amber beer
- 16 ounces angel hair pasta, cooked al dente
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, freshly grated
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Core the tomatoes and cut into halves.
- Core the bell peppers and cut into halves lengthwise, discarding the seeds and membranes.
- Rub the skins of the tomatoes and peppers with a small amount of vegetable oil and make a small slit in the skin of each tomato half.
- Arrange cut side down in a baking pan and roast in the oven until the skins blister.
- Squeeze the seeds from the tomatoes and chop coarsely.
- Julienne the bell peppers.
- Bring the cream to a boil in a heavy saucepan.
- Stir in the roasted tomatoes and cook until the mixture is reduced 1/3 and the sauce will coat the spoon.
- Saute the garlic in the butter in a large saute pan until golden brown.
- Add the shrimp, leeks, mushrooms, and Creole seasoning.
- Saute until the shrimp are partially cooked.
- Add the beer and stir to deglaze the pan.
- Cook until the beer has evaporated.
- Add the tomato cream and pasta; mix well and season with kosher salt.
- Spoon onto serving plates and top with the Romano cheese and roasted bell peppers.
- Garnish with parsley.