Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
This Mexican barbecue sauce is often served with slow-roasted, shredded beef or lamb. Not sure the original source.
- 6 medium tomatillos, husks removed
- 3 pasilla chiles, stemmed, seeded and chopped (or 1 large dried ancho chile)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup beer, flat
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red wine vinegar (or rice wine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese, finely crumbled (Cotija cheese may be substituted)
- Combine tomatillos, chiles, and water to cover in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, covered 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Drain and allow to cool.
- Pulse tomatillo mixture, garlic and next 5 ingredients in a blender or food processor until chopped. Stir in cheese.