Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Soft sourdough pancakes with a rich rum sauce. This is one of my favorite brunch recipes that my mother and my Aunt Betty used to make. This recipe was lost for many years and was found recently with some old photographs. Once you taste this, you will crave them! Serves 4 WARNING: PART OF THIS RECIPE MUST BE MADE THE NIGHT BEFORE YOU PLAN TO SERVE THEM. Enjoy!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet yeast
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 dash salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- WARNING: MUST BE MADE THE NIGHT BEFORE:.
- Take the yeast,flour, milk and salt. Stir together. Place in very large glass bowl. This is important. No metal. Plastic will do if you don't have glass, but glass bowl is definelty preferred. (yeast is going to make this rise.)Let stand overnight on counter. Do not refrigerate.
- IN THE MORNING: DO NOT STIR. Add softly eggs, oil, sugar, and soda. When adding the soda moisten with very little water and stir with finger before adding. You want the baking soda to be like paste.
- mix well with fork to make smooth batter. Cook on hot griddle.
- Take pancakes and roll them up tight.Sort of like open ended burritos. Lay in shallow baking dish fold side down. One right next to another.
- Mix syrup , butter and rum together. Heat in microwave. You may omit the rum if you do not care for the taste. Then you can call them Sober Sailor Pancakes!
- Pour syrup sauce over pancakes. Stir and Serve immediately, or put in oven to keep warm for up to 30 minutes.
My husband loved the pancakes! They were fluffy and tasty. I made the syrup exactly as posted but I think there was definitely too much rum (I used dark rum so maybe next time I will use light rum) The syrup was strong but still ok. Will definitely make again! Made for PAC 2012.
it was really good! I used goat's milk instead of cow's milk, and 4 egg whites instead of 2 eggs, and was they were still very delicious! very unique recipe.