Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from the cookbook "Cowgirl Cuisine". A friend brought it over one evening and we served it with whipped cream. I had to have the recipe!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 orange, zest of
- lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup prune, coarsly chopped brandy soaked
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Position rack in bottom third of the oven. Butter and flour a 9X3 inch tube pan, or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and soda. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars at medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Mix in the extracts and zests, and fold in the prunes.
- Bake for one hour, until the cake pulls away from the pan, and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- To Make Brandy Soaked Prunes.
- Empty a 16 ounce container of prunes into a clean, sealable glass jar and pour brandy over the top until it covers them by about an inch. Allow prunes to macerate at least one day before making cake. Kept in a cool, dark place, the prunes will keep for months.