Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I made this up on the fly; Buddha said it was so good I should post it, so here goes before I forget; amounts are estimates. The house smelled great all day; we served open faced sandwiches for lunch the next day and it was even better. :)
- 3 -4 lbs pork loin roast (bone in or not)
- 3 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 -3 cups white wine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rub Italian seasoning all over the pork roast (be generous) and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven casserole dish, heat olive oil and bacon grease on medium high.
- Add pork roast and sear on all sides (about 1 or 2 minutes per side).
- Add the onion and garlic on the last turn.
- Remove from heat; add wine; cover and bake for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove roast from pot and place on cutting board.
- Cover with foil (allowing meat to 'set') and begin making the gravy.
- Place the Dutch oven containing the baked juices (wine sauce) on top of the stove over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, mix the milk and flour until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture to the juices; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk or stir constantly until you get gravy consistency (about 10 minutes). If gravy becomes too thick, simply add more milk, a little at a time.
- Slice pork and serve with the gravy.
This turned out to be a delicious roast! Wow it sure uses a lot of wine, I only used the minimum 2 cups and the wine flavor really comes through in the gravy, and is pretty strong, but I loved it :)
This made a great dinner for us. This was very easy to make and gave us another opportunity to have gravy and potatoes. Made for PRMR.
I cut this way down in size, and reduced the cooking time as well. I used 3/4 lb pork tenderloin, and this turned out absolutely delicious! Other than reducing the amounts and cooking time, I made exactly as posted. I'll make this again. It's a recipe that you can cook and go off and do other things while it is in the oven. When my family comes home, I'll make this for them "full-sized". Made for Photo Tag!