1/1 Photo of Drunken Pirate Shrimp With Tropical Salsa
This recipe actually won Contessa's "Cook Like a Pirate" recipe contest, so I was pretty excited about it! It's a very nice light meal and the pirate theme is fun for the whole family.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup coconut rum
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 12 large shrimp, thawed and peeled
Tropical Treasure Salsa
- 1In a saute pan, add rum, pineapple juice, red onion, garlic, red pepper, salt, and ginger.
- 2Bring to simmer on medium heat.
- 3Let cook for 5-7 minutes, to allow the flavors of the vegetables to let out.
- 4Gently drop shrimp into the pan and braise on medium low heat until pink, about 4 minutes.
- 5Remove shrimp and arrange half in each avocado skin "chests".
- 6Serve with rice for a fuller meal.
- 7For salsa, after chopping all ingredients to appropriate size, mix together and season with salt and pepper.
- 8Let sit for at least 30 minutes to marinate.
- 9Serve over hot shrimp, to look like an opened chest of buried treasure.
- 10Drizzle pan sauce over the whole dish for extra flavor.
Browse Our Top Hawaiian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hawaiian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Drunken Pirate Shrimp With Tropical Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (594 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 620.9
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 63.8 mg
- Sodium 949.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 28.5 g
- Protein 12.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: