Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe actually won Contessa's "Cook Like a Pirate" recipe contest, so I was pretty excited about it! It's a very nice light meal and the pirate theme is fun for the whole family.
- 1 cup coconut rum
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 12 large shrimp, thawed and peeled
Tropical Treasure Salsa
- 1 mango, diced small
- 1 avocado, diced small, reserve peels
- 1⁄2 cup fresh pineapple, diced small
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- In a saute pan, add rum, pineapple juice, red onion, garlic, red pepper, salt, and ginger.
- Bring to simmer on medium heat.
- Let cook for 5-7 minutes, to allow the flavors of the vegetables to let out.
- Gently drop shrimp into the pan and braise on medium low heat until pink, about 4 minutes.
- Remove shrimp and arrange half in each avocado skin "chests".
- Serve with rice for a fuller meal.
- For salsa, after chopping all ingredients to appropriate size, mix together and season with salt and pepper.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes to marinate.
- Serve over hot shrimp, to look like an opened chest of buried treasure.
- Drizzle pan sauce over the whole dish for extra flavor.