1/1 Photo of Drunken Peruano Beans With Cilantro and Bacon
2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is adapted from Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen. I purchased some peruano beans (also called mayocoba beans) and wasn't sure what to do with them and found this recipe online. Peruano beans can be used any time navy beans are used and are from Mexico. This is a nice and spicy pot of beans that you can throw inside of a burrito or just eat plain. I added extra jalapenos and used red onion instead of yellow (I did not change the recipe--only how I made it). I also used rum in place of tequila because it's what I had. Very tasty! Thank you Rick Bayless!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces dried peruano beans
- 2 ounces salt pork, in largish chunks
- 4 slices bacon, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 serranos (stemmed, seeded, and chopped) or 1 jalapeno pepper (stemmed, seeded, and chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (or more)
- 1Rinse the beans thoroughly and bring to a boil along with the salt pork in generously salted water.
- 2Simmer until done.
- 3Drain, reserving 1 cup of the water and remove salt pork.
- 4In the meantime, saute the bacon until done but not crispy.
- 5Drain and set aside.
- 6Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings and saute the onion and chilies until soft.
- 7Add the garlic and saute until the raw garlic smell is gone.
- 8Add the beans to the onion mixture with the reserved bacon.
- 9Add some of the reserved bean cooking liquid to get the desired texture (just loose but not soupy).
- 10Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- 11Just before serving, add the tequila and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- 12Add the cilantro, stir and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Drunken Peruano Beans With Cilantro and Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (28 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 78.7
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 8.8 mg
- Sodium 135.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 1.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried peruano beans