Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful recipe for mussel and clam lovers. A very light sauce made with butter & beer. I first tried this at a local restaurant called Bones Grille in Lansdale, PA. I did my best to copy it. I hope you enjoy.
- 0.5 (4 ounce) bottleof white ale
- 16 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 leek, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder (to taste)
- 4 ounces milk or 4 ounces light cream
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 2 dozen mussels
- Place Ale & Butter in sauce pan over medium to low heat.
- When butter is melted add leeks, garlic & chili powder.
- Bring to a simmer and let reduce half way.
- Add milk. Bring back to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Taste test. For spicier taste buds add more chili powder. Garlic lovers add more garlic.
- Steam mussels until open. Pour sauce over mussels.
- Squeeze juice from lemon over mussels.
- NOTE: I like to double or even triple the recipe & steam the mussels in the sauce. Fresh bread for dunking is a must with my family. I have added a small amount of saffron or tarragon to the sauce for another unique flavor. To stretch the recipe you can always add more milk or the broth from the steamed mussels works well too.