Recipe by Lizzie-Babette
Mushrooms and vermouth - who knew they'd taste so good together? Very good, broth-based soup where the mushroom flavor really shines, since there's no cream or milk. It's also vegetarian but could be made vegan (substitute olive oil for butter and vegetable broth for chicken broth). We usually have this all year round, but like it especially to start a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Especially nice since you can make it in advance! Adapted from "Colorado Cache".
Top Review by Susan Dillard
This soup is very good and easy to fix. All of the ingredients are ones usually on hand, so all you need to get are the mushrooms. I added a bit more thyme and a splash of fresh lemon juice at the end, other than that I followed the recipe exactly and it was very good, will be fixing this one again.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups finely-minced yellow onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms (half sliced, half finely chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth (about 1 can is perfect)
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large saucepan, and cook onions, sugar, and thyme slowly until golden, about 30- 45 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and stir until smooth.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add water and stir until it's smooth and well blended.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and heat until the soup comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10- 15 minutes.
- NOTE: you can prepare this in advance, refrigerate it and reheat it on low heat.