2 hrs 30 mins
From Crepes of Wrath
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs stewing beef (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 7 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 6 cups beef stock or 6 cups broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb russet potato (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 lb baby red potato (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, peeled (cut into 1/2 pieces)
- 1 large white onions or 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, plus 1 T water
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1Heat olive oil in large heavy pot over medium high heat.
- 2Add stew meat and saute for about 6 minutes or until brown on all sides. Add garlic cloves and saute until fragrant, or about one minute.
- 3Add beef broth/stock, red wine, Guinness, tomato paste, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and bay leaves.
- 4Stir to combine and bring mixture to a boil.
- 5Once boiling, reduce heat to low.
- 6Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 7Stir occasionally.
- 8Meanwhile, in another large pot, melt butter over medium heat until slightly foaming.
- 9Add potatoes, celery, onion, and carrots and saute for about 15 minutes, or until golden.
- 10Set aside until stew has simmered for 1 hour.
- 11Add vegetables to beef stew and simmer uncovered until vegetables and beef are tender, about 40 minutes.
- 12After that time, mix 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch with 1 Tablespoon of cold water until combined.
- 13Slowly add to the stew, stirring for about 1 minute until thickened.
- 14Discard bay leaves and remove any fat that has accumulated on top. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 15Serve with a nice crusty bread and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Drunken Irish Stew
Serving Size: 1 (844 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 474.5
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 52.9 mg
- Sodium 902.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 22.5 g