1/9 Photos of Drunken Garlic Crock Pot Roast
7 hrs 15 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
Don't be afraid of all the garlic in this! It gets really mild from the long cooking process and gives the meat a wonderful flavor. This is a favorite for me, and I hope it will be for you, too. Different brands of beer will give you different amounts of sweetness ranging from bitter to malty (common beer characters). Try going with less sugar until you know how your beer will taste (as most of them add some amount of sweetness regardless).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 24 garlic cloves, minced (about 4 tbsp.)
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 8 ounces lager beer
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (cut back for a less sweet taste)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- cornstarch (dissolved in water, for gravy)
- 1In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoons of the oil and brown roast on both sides, seasoning with salt and pepper; remove to a platter and keep warm.
- 2Add the remaining tbsp of oil to the pan and add the onions, cook until they just start to wilt then add the garlic, them cook until the onions are tender, a few minutes more.
- 3Add the bouillon cubes to the hot water and stir to dissolve; add that to the skillet along with the beer, brown sugar, mustard, and vinegar; stir to mix well.
- 4Pour mixture into the bottom of the crock pot.
- 5Place roast on top of liquid, cutting into pieces if it doesn't lay flat.
- 6Set the crock pot on low and cook for 7-8 hours.
- 7Remove meat from crock pot and pour liquid into a pan on the stove; heat to a boil, and mix a slurry out of the cornstarch and water; thicken pan liquid with slurry to make a gravy.
- 8Serve gravy over meat or with potatoes or noodles.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Drunken Garlic Crock Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 580.3
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 187.4 mg
- Sodium 1083.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 62.5 g