Recipe by French Tart
An easy and delicious chicken dish with a few elegant touches here and there! The chicken is jointed (cut into pieces), sauteed and then grilled like a potato gratin in a sauce of cognac, wine, mustard and cheese. Serve this with a crisp fresh salad and pasta, or with seasonal steamed vegetables and rice. You can omit the cognac and wine and use apple juice if you wish - the taste will not be as sophisticated, deep or intense, but the chicken could be served to children this way! An ideal dinner party recipe or Valentine's day meal for two - just reduce the ingredients, or make the full amount and freeze the remaining portions. Recommended wine: Saumur Champigny.
Top Review by wicked cook 46
Quel plat magnifique simple. Made as stated except I cut back on the amount of chicken. And when French Tart says Be careful Flambe she means it LOL I have flambe before but this time WOW LOL I did cook the chicken longer then stated but didn't time it. Plus I sprinkled some Fleur De Sel on top just before serving Served with recipe#365349#365349 and for an appetizer recipe#337715#337715 and a French Baquette for a very nice French meal at home. Made for ZWT 5 French Region for the Zaar Chow Hounds
- 1 whole chicken (jointed, about 2 to 3 kilos in wieght)
- 100 ml cognac (1/3 glass)
- 350 ml dry white wine (1 1/2 glasses)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 5 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 140 g grated cheddar cheese (or any other hard cheese such as ( Emmental, Comte, Cantal or Tomme de Savioe)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetables or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Roll each piece of chicken in the flour, that has been seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Sauté until golden in a large frying pan, over a high heat.
- Drain off any excess oil, then add the cognac and flambé - BE CAREFUL!
- Add the smoked paprika, white wine and sugar, then mix well and leave to reduce over a low heat for 5 -10 minutes.
- Add the crème fraîche and 100g of the grated cheese. Stir well, bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 12 - 15 minutes, stirring regularly. Season to tate with salt and pepper, remembering that the flour was seasoned!
- Arrange the fried chicken pieces in a gratin dish.
- Add the mustard to the sauce, whisk, then pour over the chicken.
- Mix the remaining 40g of grated cheese with the breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs and cheese over the top of the chicken.
- Grill (broil) the chicken in the sauce for 5 - 10 minutes to brown cheese and give a crusty, golden topping.
- Serve with crisp fresh salad and pasta or, with rice and steamed seasonal vegetables. Recommended wine: Saumur Champigny.