1/3 Photos of Drunken Cornish Game Hen
More affectionately known as Beer Butt Game Hen. In the photo I have used a rinsed out coke can as I wanted to use my Arrogant Bastard Ale & it comes in a bottle... The things one must endure... Anyway, simple, easy & delicious, crispy on the outside & moist & tender on the inside, this little birdie will serve two and makes for a lovely romantic dinner (especially when you have some extra beer!!!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Line a broiler pan with foil, open the Game bird package (Tyson sells them in packages of two, individually wrapped which is darned convenient, you can freeze the other one for next time) & find an empty beer or soda can (or you can go the cheap route & use a can of Bud which works just as well) and fill to the brim with Arrogant Bastard Ale, get the dark stuff, gives a lovely flavor, pop the top (if going the Bud route) & stick it up that randy little bird's butt. Seriously. If I can add a photo you'll see what I mean, I'll give it my best shot --.
- 3You can put the dry ingredients in a ziplock bag & shake the bird until good & coated or just sprinkle on once on the can. VERY IMPORTANT - IF YOU USE AN ALREADY IN THE CAN BEER, POP THE TOP, I'm pretty sure you don't want it to explode in your oven -- Place the bird atop the can (really give it a good shove, get it in there good & solid) place the whole shebang in the middle of the broiler pan & then place pan in the middle of your oven. Set the timer for 45 minutes & go have a beer or two while you wait. You could also use this time constructively by getting together some nice veggies to sautee as a side dish but if you're already into the beer you probably won't care either way --.
- 4Enjoy the heck out of this, make two so you can invite the neighbors over, make sure you open the oven so they can point & laugh and tell you what a freak you are, it adds to the fun!
- 5When you think the bird is done, usually in about 45 minutes (check the thigh joint to see if the juices run clear, smaller birds don't take as long as bigger ones, duh) remove the tray from the oven & ever so gently extract the can from the bird's behind (it will be very hot so be careful!). I usually slice the bird from stem to stern while still atop the can, makes extraction easier. Whatever you do DON'T SPILL THE BEER, especially if you're naked as it will leave a nasty burn, trust me on this one--.
- 6Anyway, enjoy the heck out of this recipe, it's simple and you'll really love the Game hen. To substitute a regular chicken use a tall beer can & roast for an hour or more -- .
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Drunken Cornish Game Hen
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 215.2
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 108.7 mg
- Sodium 88.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 24.7 g