Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is our favorite way to serve chicken and there are lots of variations. The lime and chili adds a really special flavor. The Tequila just makes you smart!
- Rinse and pat dry hen.
- Drink 1/2 the beer and set aside the rest in the can.
- Then pour a shot of tequila and drink with a slice of lime.
- Spray can with 1/2 beer with cooking spray.
- Have another shot of tequila with lime.
- Put some of the oregano, a couple of the peppers, a couple of the garlic cloves, a pinch of cumin and a pinch of chili powder in the neck cavity of the hen.
- Stuff opening with a wad of aluminum foil to seal cavity.
- Have another shot of tequila and lime and while you're at it add a shot to the beer can with a piece of lime, the rest of the oregano, peppers, and garlic cloves.
- Push the can into to rear end of the chicken so that the hen can sit up.
- Place the chicken in a foil pie pan or square cake pan.
- Have another tequila shot, then rub the rest of the cumin, chili powder, and the salt onto the outside of the chicken.
- Have a couple more shots while your coals get ready on the pit.
- Place the pan with the chicken on the pit and close the grill.
- Let chicken cook for 1 hour on medium hot pit.
- (Of course, this means more tequila shots.) Baste hen with juices in pan.
- Take off grill when done and let rest 10 minutes before serving with a squeeze of lime and some drippings.
- If there is any Tequila left be sure to serve with the chicken also.
- This can be done in the oven as well on 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Great recipe! I used half of a lime to seal the neck of the chicken instead of foil. Just added a little kick.
After all those tequila shots...do you really care what the chicken tastes like!