Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Tequila is this chicken's magic ingredient, and the dish has a delicious sweet-and-sour flavor. Serve it with Green or Yellow rice and flour tortillas to mop up the sauce.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tart apples
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups well flavored chicken stock
- 1 cup tequila
- Put the raisins in a bowl and pour in the sherry. Set aside to plump up. Season the flour with the salt and pepper and spread it out on a large, flat dish or soup plate. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan. Dip each chicken thigh in turn in the seasoned flour, then fry in the hot oil until browned, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat the remaining vegetable oil in a large, deep frying pan. Add the onion slices and crushed garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile, peel, core and dice the apples.
- Add the diced apple to the onion mixture with the almonds. Cook stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes, then add the soaked raisins, with any remaining sherry. Add the chicken pieces to the pan.
- Pour the stock and tequila over the chicken mixture. cover the pan with a lid and cook for 15 minutes, then take off the lid and cook for 10 more minutes or until the sauce has reduced by about half.
- Check that the chicken thighs are cooked by lifting one out of the pan and piecing it in the thickest part with a sharp knife or skewer. Any juices that come out should be clear. If necessary, cook the chicken for a little longer before serving. sprinkled with chopped fresh herbs, if desired.