Prep 9 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 1⁄4 lb fresh bing cherry, pitted and halved
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Cointreau liqueur or 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- In a non-reactive small saucepan, combine the pitted cherries, orange juice, mace, and orange liqueur.
- Partially cover and simmer over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until cherries are soft but not mushy.
- Remove from heat.
- In 4 stemmed goblets, parfait glasses, or dessert dishes, alternate 2 to 3 layers of ice cream and hot cherry mixture.
- Gently cut through the layers and swirl with a knife.
- Serve at once.
- If the diners are chocoholics, garnish each serving with shaved dark chocolate.