1/10 Photos of Drunken Butter Rum Cupcakes
1 hr 5 mins
An absolutely sinful cupcake that is perfect for grownup parties. Worth the extra effort by every bit!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
for the Cupcakes
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box butter recipe cake mix (or yellow if you cant find it)
- 1 3/4 ounces vanilla instant pudding mix (about half a standard packet)
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk, cold
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dark rum
for the Butter Rum Glaze
for the Rum Buttercream frosting
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- 3Toast pecan and coconut over medium heat in a dry skillet for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 4Combine all cake ingredients in a large stainless steel bowl. Beat for 2 minutes on high with electric mixer. Stir in pecans and coconut flake mixture reserving about 1/3 cup for garnishing later.
- 5Pour batter into prepared cups.
- 6Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out of center completely clean.
- 7Place on a cooling rack. Prick top of cupcakes with toothpick. ALLOW TO COOL COMPLETELY.
- 8For glaze:.
- 9Melt butter in saucepan.
- 10Stir in 1/4 cup of the rum and sugar.
- 11Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat.
- 12Stir in remaining 1/4 cup of rum.
- 13For Frosting:.
- 14Before starting, place your stainless steel bowl and the arms for mixer into the freezer, for about 5 minutes. The cold bowl and arms form stiffer peaks in your frosting.
- 15In large bowl, with mixer at medium-low speed, beat sugar, butter, vanilla, and 4 tablespoons rum until blended.
- 16Increase speed to medium-high; beat until light and fluffy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
- 17Beat in more rum as needed for desire consistency for frosting.
- 18To finish cupcakes:.
- 19Dip tops of cupcakes into Butter Rum Glaze and allow excess to drop off before placing back down. This part can get a bit messy.
- 20Pipe on dollops of frosting, I usually leave some of the cupcake showing cause the glaze is so shiny and pretty.
- 21Drizzle a small amount of remaining drizzle over top of frosting. Sprinkle with remaining pecan and coconut.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Drunken Butter Rum Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.0
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 52.2 mg
- Sodium 227.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 39.3 g
- Protein 2.7 g