Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
An absolutely sinful cupcake that is perfect for grownup parties. Worth the extra effort by every bit!
for the Cupcakes
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup coconut flakes
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box butter recipe cake mix (or yellow if you cant find it)
- 1 3⁄4 ounces vanilla instant pudding mix (about half a standard packet)
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk, cold
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
for the Butter Rum Glaze
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
for the Rum Buttercream frosting
- 16 ounces confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons dark rum, plus up to 2 tablespoons more, as needed
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- Toast pecan and coconut over medium heat in a dry skillet for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Combine all cake ingredients in a large stainless steel bowl. Beat for 2 minutes on high with electric mixer. Stir in pecans and coconut flake mixture reserving about 1/3 cup for garnishing later.
- Pour batter into prepared cups.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out of center completely clean.
- Place on a cooling rack. Prick top of cupcakes with toothpick. ALLOW TO COOL COMPLETELY.
- For glaze:.
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the rum and sugar.
- Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining 1/4 cup of rum.
- For Frosting:.
- Before starting, place your stainless steel bowl and the arms for mixer into the freezer, for about 5 minutes. The cold bowl and arms form stiffer peaks in your frosting.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium-low speed, beat sugar, butter, vanilla, and 4 tablespoons rum until blended.
- Increase speed to medium-high; beat until light and fluffy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
- Beat in more rum as needed for desire consistency for frosting.
- To finish cupcakes:.
- Dip tops of cupcakes into Butter Rum Glaze and allow excess to drop off before placing back down. This part can get a bit messy.
- Pipe on dollops of frosting, I usually leave some of the cupcake showing cause the glaze is so shiny and pretty.
- Drizzle a small amount of remaining drizzle over top of frosting. Sprinkle with remaining pecan and coconut.
I didn't frost these cupcakes - instead I did a double-dip in the glaze, letting the cupcakes dry in between dips. HEAVEN! - they were moist and totally delicious! :)
I could not get the glaze to thicken. Any suggestions on how to get the glaze to thicken?
AMAZING. I used Sailor Jerry spiced rum went really well with the coconut :)