1/10 Photos of Drunken Butter Rum Cupcakes
1 hr 5 mins
An absolutely sinful cupcake that is perfect for grownup parties. Worth the extra effort by every bit!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
for the Cupcakes
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box butter recipe cake mix (or yellow if you cant find it)
- 1 3/4 ounces vanilla instant pudding mix (about half a standard packet)
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk, cold
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dark rum
for the Butter Rum Glaze
for the Rum Buttercream frosting
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- 3Toast pecan and coconut over medium heat in a dry skillet for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 4Combine all cake ingredients in a large stainless steel bowl. Beat for 2 minutes on high with electric mixer. Stir in pecans and coconut flake mixture reserving about 1/3 cup for garnishing later.
- 5Pour batter into prepared cups.
- 6Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out of center completely clean.
- 7Place on a cooling rack. Prick top of cupcakes with toothpick. ALLOW TO COOL COMPLETELY.
- 8For glaze:.
- 9Melt butter in saucepan.
- 10Stir in 1/4 cup of the rum and sugar.
- 11Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat.
- 12Stir in remaining 1/4 cup of rum.
- 13For Frosting:.
- 14Before starting, place your stainless steel bowl and the arms for mixer into the freezer, for about 5 minutes. The cold bowl and arms form stiffer peaks in your frosting.
- 15In large bowl, with mixer at medium-low speed, beat sugar, butter, vanilla, and 4 tablespoons rum until blended.
- 16Increase speed to medium-high; beat until light and fluffy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
- 17Beat in more rum as needed for desire consistency for frosting.
- 18To finish cupcakes:.
- 19Dip tops of cupcakes into Butter Rum Glaze and allow excess to drop off before placing back down. This part can get a bit messy.
- 20Pipe on dollops of frosting, I usually leave some of the cupcake showing cause the glaze is so shiny and pretty.
- 21Drizzle a small amount of remaining drizzle over top of frosting. Sprinkle with remaining pecan and coconut.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Drunken Butter Rum Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.0
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 52.2 mg
- Sodium 227.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 39.3 g
- Protein 2.7 g