Prep 75 hrs
Cook 45 mins
A good way to use up day old croissants or other bread. This makes a scrumptious almond-flavored dessert.
- 4 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 236.59 ml sugar, divided
- 3.69 ml cinnamon
- 709.77 ml half-and-half
- 147.89 ml almond flavored liqueur, divided
- 6 day-old plain croissants, about 3 ounces each, cut into 2 1/2 inch pieces or 12 dinner rolls (2 1/2 inch) or 2839.08 ml bread, about
- 29.58 ml sliced almonds
- 118.29 ml butter
- 236.59 ml powdered sugar
- whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter 11x7-inch baking dish.
- In bowl whisk eggs and yolks, Whisk in granulated sugar and cinnamon until blended.
- Whisk in half and half, raisins and 2 tablespoons Amaretto until combined and sugar has dissolved.
- Add bread; stir to coat in egg mixture.
- Cover; refrigerate for 15 minutes. Stir and refrigerate 15 minutes more.
- Pour bread and egg mixture into baking dish; Pour any remaining egg mixture over bread.
- Bake 30 minutes; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes more or until set. (If top is browning too quickly, tent with foil).
- Sauce: In pot melt butter over medium heat.
- Add remaining Amaretto; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cook 30 seconds, reduce heat to medium.
- Gradually whisk in powdered sugar until dissolved; remove from heat.
- Transfer to bowl; cover and cool.
- Serve bread pudding with sauce and if desired, whipped cream.
Another tasty version of bread pudding. Since I'm cooking for 2 people, I cut the recipe in half; if you do so,be careful of the amounts specified in the directions - the computer doesn't adjust them.
There is, finally, a bread pudding I like. Of course, it is the amaretto that does the trick. I had a bunch of Devonshire cream and bread crusts left over from a high tea, so instead of making the sauce for the top, I just added more amaretto and topped with Devonshire cream. I can tell that it would be good with the sauce too. Most bread puddings don't have much flavor to me, they are just a vehicle to carry sugar into the body. This has flavor!