Recipe by Zeke Koch
Adapted from La Parilla, these vegan beans are the hit of any party. They're made in the oven which is convenient when you're doing a large mexican spread because I'm often using all four burners on my stove.
Top Review by Chef Tweaker
I really liked these but hubby not as much. There was a beer aftertaste which was probably why. We are wimpy when it comes to spice so I omitted the chile altogether. I used a dark Irish beer. ETA tried it again with hard apple cider and some mild chiles. It was a hit!
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 cups dried pinto beans, soaked over night
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup jalapeno chile, sliced
- 12 ounces beer (preferably Negro Modelo)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 300.
- Saute onions, oregano and garlic until lightly browned (about 10 minutes).
- Add beans, water, chilies, beer.
- Bring to a boil then cover and put in the oven.
- Bake for about 2 hours (the beans should be quite soft).
- Add salt to taste.
- Bake another 10 minutes.