Recipe by ScottySauce
You may think it sounds strange to add beer to macaroni and cheese but I promise you this version is simply amazing.
Top Review by Chef Annie Z
Needed comfort food tonight! This was it! Amazing flavor and did not change a thing, except I doubled it. Kids loved it. Served with Trappey's Louisiana Hot Sauce. The beer and mustard were subtle but complimented the cheeses perfectly. Super Creamy! A new Family Favorite.
- 1 1⁄2 cups large macaroni
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon light flavor olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 ounces tillamook sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup dark beer
- 6 slices precooked bacon, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons full strength prepared stone ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 dash hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot, over medium-high heat, bring two quarts water and 1 teaspoon salt to a full rolling boil. Gradually add macaroni and boil approximately 15 minutes or until pasta reaches desired tenderness. Drain.
- Melt butter and olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Sauté shallots in butter and olive oil for approximately 2 minutes or until they begin to turn transparent. Add flour to the pan, stirring constantly until a smooth paste forms. Stirring constantly, gradually add milk and continue cooking until mixture is thick and bubbly (mixture should coat the back of a spoon). Add 6 ounces of the cheese and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat and add beer, bacon, mustard, garlic powder, pepper and remaining salt. Stir well.
- Spray a 9” x 9" square glass pan with non-stick cooking spray. In the large pot, combine macaroni and cheese sauce and stir. Pour into 9” x 9" baking dish, cover with foil and place into preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove foil and sprinkle the remaining 2 ounces of the shredded cheese and continue cooking, uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- Remove macaroni and cheese from the oven. Allow to cool for approximately 5 minutes before serving.