Recipe by peachy_pie
This is an Australian recipe from long ago. White Australians living in the bush often suffered great deprivation when their food supplies ran out in times of drought, floods and bushfire. These were made when times were tough as they need no eggs, milk, and very little else from the pantry. Great for breakfast hot with butter and jam or as a snack.
- 3 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 80 g butter or 80 g vegetable fat, chilled and diced
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons currants
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the flour with the sugar and rub in butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add the water, stirring until smooth. Stir in the currants.
- Place balls or tablespoons-full on a greased baking tray and bake at 180 degrees for 20 minutes, or until tinged with brown and cooked through.